Astrology, particularly star signs, has gained a lot of mainstream popularity in recent years. Sure, some people might think that asking about someone’s sign immediately after meeting them (guilty!) is a red flag. With all the daily horoscopes out there that are so general that they could apply to anyone, it’s fair to say that astrology is often painted as a nonsense pseudoscience.
In any case, I think the concept of every person having a complex chart of stars and planets is pretty neat. If you think about it, each one of us is a tiny universe of intricate personality traits that may (or may not) have something to do with the exact time and place we were born. That’s the concept of astrology — that the alignment of the universe dictates our soul’s expression and destiny.
Our sun sign is determined by the day you were born, i.e., the position of the sun. It’s the sign that most people know about themselves and often refer to as their “zodiac sign.”
This is a list of places you should consider traveling to this year, based on your astrological sun sign (your birthday):
Aries: March 21-April 19
Those born under Aries (a fire sign) love action, adventure, and excitement when they travel. Sure, sitting on a beach somewhere is a welcome vacation for anyone, but an Aries looks for something a bit more than just that. A destination that offers outdoor activities such as zip-lining, wakeboarding, skiing, or riding in a helicopter is ideal.
Here are a few ideas for Aries people:
- Antigua and Barbuda, Caribbean: Sure, this island destination is a gorgeous place to relax, but it’s also full of adventure. Here are 14 adventurous things to do there so you can start planning your trip.
- Riviera Maya, Mexico: Another warm and beachy destination, the Riviera Maya extends along Mexico’s Caribbean coast and is mostly known for its big resorts. However, there is plenty to do there for an action-packed trip. There are lots of unexpected things to do on the Riviera Maya that even a restless Aries won’t get bored of.
- Lassen Volcanic National Park, California: Is it clichéd to add a literal volcano to this fire sign’s list of travel recommendations? Oh, well! Lassen Volcanic National Park is perfect for an outdoorsy Aries. Find your Lassen itinerary here.
Taurus: April 20-May 20
Tauruses (born under the most indulgent and lavish earth sign) might enjoy a luxurious vacation where they can unwind and pamper themselves, while also connecting with the great outdoors. Options that include enjoying the gifts of nature while also having comfortable accommodations are ideal for a Taurus. Glamping in a national park or staying in a treehouse on a remote island or at a luxe resort are all a Taurus’s dream.
Consider these destinations:
- Bora Bora: Even if you don’t want to splurge on an overwater bungalow, Bora Bora has plenty of lush places to stay. The immaculate scenes there appear too beautiful to be real, which is definitely up to a Taurus’s high standards. Check out this Bora Bora itinerary for inspo.
- NorCal road trip: For the Tauruses out there that love a good road trip and some prime outdoors time, head to Northern California. Hit up Redwoods National Park and other earthy places along the way on this NorCal itinerary.
- Oahu, Hawai’i: Another beach spot, Oahu is perfect for a Taurus because of its balance of luxury and adventure. You’ll have access to all the finer things that a Taurus loves, with plenty of opportunities to get out and explore nature. Find an awesome list of things to do on Oahu here.
Gemini: May 21-June 20
Gemini is the air sign that most literally depicts duality and partnership, so those born at this time love to have company when they travel. Air signs are also very intellectual and need stimulation, so road trips or destinations that involve a lot of sightseeing and moving quickly from place to place are ideal.
Here are my top picks for these social butterflies:
- Oregon road trip: A road trip through green Oregon is great for a restless Gemini, who can enjoy the trip with a group of friends or their partner, chatting and hanging out the whole way. Check out this Oregon road trip for some ideas.
- New Orleans, Louisiana: For Geminis who love to meet new people and enjoy a night on the town, New Orleans is the place to go. Plus, there’s a ton of history to stimulate a Gemini’s racing mind. This is a great spot for solo traveling as well, because there are plenty of opportunities to socialize, even if traveling alone. Here are some ideas to get you started planning your NOLA adventure.
- Greece, island-hopping: Let’s face it, if a Gemini is heading to Greece, one island just isn’t enough. Rent a boat and go island-hopping, solo or with a group of friends. Read more about island-hopping in Greece here.
Cancer: June 21-July 22
Cancer is known to be the most sentimental and sensitive of the zodiac signs, so Cancers tend to gravitate toward destinations with a lot of soul. These places provide opportunities to learn about a different culture and fully immerse oneself. Speaking of immersion, Cancers also thrive near bodies of water, since it’s a water sign.
These places combine both cultural richness and opportunities to be close to water:
- Santorini, Greece: Because it’s an island, this one is a no-brainer. Santorini has all the gorgeous blue water a Cancer dreams of, plus the added bonus of being a hub for Greek culture and cuisine. Here’s how to have a dreamy vacation in Santorini.
- San Cristóbal de las Casas, Mexico: While it may be landlocked, San Cristóbal de las Casas in Mexico is a great launching point for the abundant waterfalls of Chiapas. Plus, it’s packed with Mexican culture and tends to attract all kinds of creative people, which is a great match for artsy Cancers. Find more info on San Cristóbal de las Casas here.
- Amalfi Coast, Italy: Italy’s Amalfi Coast has a storybook charm that is sure to enchant anyone, let alone a romantic Cancer. For these water signs, there are plenty of lakes and idyllic coastlines. Get more Amalfi Coast inspiration here.
Leo: July 23-August 22
Super independent and always down for an off-the-grid adventure, fiery Leos want the bragging rights of going to places that their friends haven’t even heard of. Whether it’s jetting off to a faraway country or heading into the wilderness in their home state, Leos thrive in new environments because of their self-confidence. Leos make decisions easily and are always looking out for themselves and others, making these adventurous destinations perfect for them:
- Southern Utah: Much of southern Utah has yet to be explored by many travelers, so it’s great for a Leo. Pack your bags for a remote journey, using this southern Utah itinerary to uncover the best secret places.
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia: Although literal millions of tourists visit these impressive ruins each year, the sheer awe of seeing Angkor Wat is what a Leo is looking for in a travel experience. Get more Cambodia inspiration here.
- Namibia: How many of your friends can say they’ve sand-surfed in the desert of Namibia? I’d bet not many. Get out there and try something new, embracing the wildness of the desert. See this guide to road-tripping in Namibia to start planning your trip.
Virgo: August 23-September 22
Virgos are known for being hyperorganized and neat. Those born under this earth sign are experts at planning their travel, down to the smallest detail. However, traveling Virgos thrive when they have the opportunity to have bold and memorable experiences, often looking for places where they can dive in and learn something new.
For curious and pragmatic Virgos, these destinations are all about experiential travel:
- New Mexico road trip: Planning a road trip is a Virgo’s dream, and heading to New Mexico to learn about earthships is even more ideal. Not only will you be able to plan each stop to a T, you’ll also be able to learn about sustainable building and biotecture. Win-win! Find out more about planning a New Mexico road trip here.
- Iceland: Another great place for a road trip (on the Ring Road, for example), Iceland has had a recent boom in tourism that means that planning a trip there is an absolute breeze. Plus, the gorgeous landscapes are enough to make anyone born under this earth sign very happy. Get started on your Icelandic adventure here.
- Tofo Beach, Mozambique: Mozambique is very much off the beaten path, making it a great challenge in flexibility for an otherwise rigid Virgo. The experience of connecting genuinely with locals and learning about Mozambican culture will make it worthwhile, though. See this guide on traveling to Tofo, Mozambique, to start planning.
Libra: September 23-October 22
Libras are all about balance and aesthetics, tending to choose travel destinations that are not only drop-dead gorgeous but ideal for sharing with a friend or partner. Libra being an air sign, those born under it are dreamers who tend to get in their head, so they need to travel somewhere they can truly disconnect and relax. On the other hand, cities with a vibrant scene are also great for social Libras who want to venture out and meet new people. See what I mean about balance?
These destinations have the equilibrium that Libras seek:
- Aruba: Not only is this an island paradise, but it also has a vibrant culture and tends to be very social, with lots of intermingling between visitors and locals. There’s plenty to do in Aruba if you’re traveling solo, too. Get more Aruba tips and suggestions here.
- Savannah, Georgia: With thriving nightlife, a colorful aesthetic, and plenty to do around town, Savannah couldn’t be more perfect for a day-dreaming Libra. There’s a ton of history there, plus an incredible food and bar scene to enjoy solo or with a companion. Find more Savannah tips here.
- Tahiti: What could be more aesthetically pleasing than hanging out at a resort in Tahiti? The contrast of green mountains with cobalt blue water is fit for any Libra, if you ask me. Start planning your Tahitian getaway here.
Scorpio: October 23-November 21
Scorpio is known as one of the most intense signs of the zodiac, so Scorpios look for depth, literally and figuratively, wherever they go. They tend to yearn for travel experiences that challenge them; places with loads of history to uncover or that have deep spiritual meaning are ideal for traveling Scorpios. And they always try to find somewhere with a body of water, which makes sense, considering it’s a water sign.
These are my picks for Scorpios (trust me on this one, as I’m a Scorpio myself!):
- Baja California Sur, Mexico: Pair the cultural richness of Mexico with incredible beaches and you’ve landed on a Scorpio’s dream destination. Between road-tripping along Baja’s coast to exploring idyllic towns, there’s plenty to keep an antsy Scorpio entertained here.
- Big Island, Hawai’i: As Hawai’i’s most adventurous island, the Big Island has everything to keep those born under this water sign satisfied: snorkeling opportunities, jaw-dropping hikes, and a few sacred places to explore. Check out everything there is to do on the Big Island here for more ideas.
- Havasu Falls, Arizona: Located on the Havasupai Reservation, the 10-mile hike to Havasu Falls is totally worth it for any waterfall enthusiast. Plus, there’s plenty to learn about the reservation itself along the way, which is great for a Scorpio’s curious heart. Here’s everything you need to know about the Havasu Falls hike.
Sagittarius: November 22-December 21
I think it’s fair to say that a Sagittarius’s travel bucket list is pretty long. Those born under this fire sign are as adventurous as they are over-the-top, so a destination with a huge wow factor is in order. Whether it’s a quick, action-packed road trip or a faraway journey, they want to keep their schedule full of exciting things to do.
A Sagittarius is likely to get bored if the only thing on the agenda is sipping cocktails on the beach, so these destinations have plenty to keep them entertained:
- Utah national parks road trip: Utah’s diverse landscape is full of unearthly rock formations, plunging canyons, towering mountains, and more. With so many awe-inspiring things to see, a Utah national parks road trip is certainly in order for a daring Sagittarius.
- Provence, France: There’s something pretty impressive about having the chance to frolic through miles and miles of lavender fields, which is something you can do in Provence. A destination like this one is great to add to a European itinerary with lots of stops in other diverse places. Provence is just the beginning.
- Thailand: Lavish golden temples, hilly jungles, pristine beaches, and flavorful cuisine are what make visitors keep coming back to Thailand. This country is sure to make a Sagittarius’s jaw drop. Find everything you need to start planning your Thailand adventure here.
Capricorn: December 23-January 19
Capricorn being an earth sign, those born at this time are always looking for a hands-on way to travel and learn. That means lots of experiential activities, history museums, and walking tours for these earthy travelers. A Capricorn appreciates a packed schedule, with lots of intellectually stimulating activities and indulgent meals.
Here are some places that will certainly make a Capricorn happy:
- Fairbanks, Alaska: Whether you decide to venture here in the winter or summer, you’ll find that there are plenty of exciting things to do in Fairbanks. Wintry activities include snowshoeing, snowmobiling, or checking out glacier caves. Summer means lots of time outdoors as well, so this is the place for nature-loving “Cappys.”
- Berlin, Germany: I mean, this one is kind of a no-brainer. Capricorns tend to gravitate toward cities that have bustling plazas (for people-watching) and loads of museums. Makes sense that Berlin has to be included, right? Get inspired to check out Berlin here.
- Austria: Along the same note, history-loving Capricorns should consider heading to Austria to feed their never-ending curiosity. The country is a bit more laid back, but still has plenty to do to keep that agenda filled. Start planning your trip to Austria here.
Aquarius: January 20-February 18
Aquarian energy is a bit far out, head-in-the-clouds, and wacky at times. It’s known as the strangest and most offbeat zodiac sign, so you can expect an Aquarius to look for a place where they can feel at home. A retreat at a remote mountain location or a faraway beach might be in the cards for an Aquarian traveler this year.
Here are a few ideas:
- Sedona, Arizona: Sedona is a hub for all things mystical and spiritual, so it makes total sense that an Aquarius would feel right at home here. It’s also one of the many energy vortexes in the world, which is an exciting prospect for these born under this air sign. Read more about Sedona here.
- Tulum, Mexico: While some might think this place is overrated, there are still plenty of neat things to in Tulum. From meditation retreats to yoga classes to cacao ceremonies, this is a sweet place for Aquarians to get their chakras aligned and chill at one of the most sought-after beaches in the world.
- Ngapali Beach, Myanmar: This one is for those who want to go even further, to a place that their friends probably haven’t heard of. Ngapali Beach in Myanmar is a dreamy and peaceful destination fit for a relaxing getaway.
Pisces: February 19-March 20
A fluid and sensitive Pisces absolutely needs to be near some body of water when traveling. Since they’re known to be super laid-back and easy-going, a Pisces is happy just making up the trip on the fly. They might even be happy just choosing one place and staying there, swinging in a hammock or floating on a raft all day, every day. They don’t take very well to super specific planning, so they need a destination that is as go-with-the-flow as they are.
If you’re a Pisces, consider traveling here this year:
- Lake Tahoe, California & Nevada: Sparkling waters surrounded by mountain peaks are a Pisces’ dream. For those of you who love the great outdoors, this is a great place to camp for a weekend — or as long as you’d like. No big plans are needed to enjoy Lake Tahoe, but here are some great suggestions for summertime, when you can enjoy the water.
- Maui, Hawai’i: What could possibly be better for a water-loving Pisces than one of the most beautiful islands on earth? Hanging out on the beach, taking a road trip along the Road to Hana, or doing an epic hike are all great choices for a Pisces. Get more Maui inspo here.
- Palawan, Philippines: Not only is Palawan itself an absolute dream, but there are plenty of island-hopping opportunities that will allow a Pisces to live out their tropical fantasies. See what you can do in and around Palawan here.
Is my astrology nerdhood showing yet?
Now that you’ve gotten a taste of all the places that are destined to make anyone born under any sign happy, which place will you choose?